January 27, 2013

Sunday Reading



























I received this book in the end of November, sent to me by my Family in Denmark. I had seen it written up - don't exactly recall where, by now - and had a discussion with my mother about the book...
The first response from her was, that it contained a little too much fashion for an Interior Design Book, but I still insisted, as I truly find Naja Munthe's world of Fashion and Interior to be an interesting mix, and her universe is - to me - beautiful and very Scandinavian, perfectly accented by the unexpected exotic element. Take a look at City Living at it's best.


Besides the typical Scandinavian all white backdrop, are some interesting textural elements. Notice the high polished chrome coffee table, the black and gold - oh so current - hanging light fixture, mixed in are pottery and wood... and books, boy does she collect books! When traveling Naja always brings books home with her, so her collection is ever evolving. I suspect she uses them for inspiration, as I do mine...




































It's probably not often that you read these words in the same sentence; Deer, Art, Parquet and Designer chair... But, this is typical of what you will find in this book, amazing mix of styles, textures and travel mementos, all tied to it's owner by a strict color pallet, making everything work seamlessly, keeping the eye wandering.







































While traveling, Naja (Danish Fashion Designer, behind the label Munthe plus Simonsen) also "collects" Spa experiences, and has subsequently launched an accessory line for the home appropriately called CASA de LUXE. Candles and soaps with names like Wild Fig, shower curtains and neck rolls with elaborate embroidery, all in muted colors.


While we all need to get away sometimes, having a sanctuary as stylish as this Summer Home in Tisvilde, North of Copenhagen (I vacationed here with my grandmother many years ago, sort of like what the Hampton's are to NYC), is just plain enviable!!



































... same color pallet, just a little more rustic, weathered and raw.





































It's all about the light, the view and outside living, but why not make the interiors amazing as well... Looks like this vacation home is also equipped for cold and windy fall days, I spy a fireplace!

Many of these images were shot by Morten Koldby, and it is with his permission that I am using them. Morten shot the majority of images from this book and I asked him about working with Naja, and if there were any insight he would like to share...


I met Naja last year when I was shooting for a danish book about entrepreneurship, featuring Naja and a few other successfull danish entrepreneurs.
I have been working with Naja quite a bit this year, doing the images for her book and other projects. Working with her is a great pleasure, because of her always good mood, great confidence and straightforwardness when explaining her ideas. It was also a fun experience doing both living & interior, office moods and backstage photography from the fashion show for the same client.

If you look closely in the two images above, you see one of Morten Koldby's Animal Portraits, this beauty to be exact, isn't she amazing?? And if you would like that Deer featured in the City Home, well, that too, was photographed by Morten!

Munthe plus Simonsen and CASA de LUXE live happily together in the two story Flagship store in Copenhagen. Here you can get your fill of both worlds... Downstairs the sound of trickling water from a gold mosaic pool emphasizes the spa feel, yet the entire home collection can be found here, along with lit candles, books and jewelry.






































I love a good vignette, and this shop has many... and really, if you look closely and study what the professionals have done, you can replicate this in your own home!



(The above image was taken by me with my cell phone, hence the glare and all the price tags :)  )

Venture upstairs, and you will be tempted beyond belief... Amazing clothing; restrained colors, urban, ethnic, knitted, leather, embroidery... if you are not buying, at least "feel your way around"!












Hope you hung in there with me? I could go on & on, so in awe of the creative universe of Naja Munthe, but then there would be nothing left for you to discover in the book.... :)

Fashionable Living is written in both Danish & English, so don't hesitate to order.
I am now totally inspired to do my house over in these tones, lots of texture and a Leopard on the wall wouldn't hurt :)

Happy Sunday Reading,
Natasha

Most images by Morten Koldby, with permission, thank you!

PS. I have received an email from MK this morning.... to purchase his prints go here!

3 comments:

  1. What amazing style! The book looks absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing....

    ~ Violet

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS! Love the mix of natural + high-gloss textures. Love the layers..and white...Yum. Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely be pinning some of these. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just loving this post natasha! xo

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy... let me know what you think.
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Natasha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...